Monday 24 June 2013

REVIEWS ARE IN: SOUNCLOUD'S UNCLASSIFIED GENRE 1 UNDREAD (BETTER FOR WE)

REVIEWS ARE IN: SOUNCLOUD'S UNCLASSIFIED GENRE 1 UNDREAD (BETTER FOR WE)

Their revolution will not be classified


ARTIST: 1 UNDREAD
TRACK: BETTER FOR WE
PLATFORM:SOUNDCLOUD
LABEL: PERMANENT DAMAGE
ALSO ON: REVERBNATION, BANDCAMP



For those of you who bout Portishead's Third, their third album. What do you have to say about Geoff Burrows, and Beth Gibbon's musical, lyrical, direction and material?

I mention Portishead because they became the flagship of male (tech-muso whiz), female ( sultry voice) combination in Britain and in the electronic scene.  For example; Lamb, Attica Jazz, Goldfrapp, and more recently Ting Tings.

The thing Portishead third album is that like (Tarantino with Kill Bill who escaped making films for 7 years), they had such a hard act to follow. I am not talking about their self-titled album but the three year 94-97 window of fame that they occupied.  

1undread have been making music before 2001. At the time I first came across them, I remember reading somewhere that their influences were Roni Size, Massive Attack, I think even Portishead as well. Get it? The Bristol massive from the 90s. We may as well throw in Tricky and DJ Brockie while we are at it.


For reason of space and time, I won't get into detail of what my initial thoughts were when I first heard them. I will save that for another time when I can perhaps dedicate three blog posts to the impact their music had on me 12 years ago when I was entering University, and how it helped me get through Uni at the time and also provide me with an outlook of how to view a true music fan and a fan's relation to their musical idols. 

But what I will discuss is their latest track: Better For We. Lately they have been giving us glitchcore, grimecore, dubstep offerings. But I cannot categorise this one, I give in, and just gave it a listen.

 If you have watched their Nosferatu inspired track on YouTube, you could easily put the intro of this song alongside those images.  It is effected with filters and reverbs and delays, and you got the feedback of a very creepy piano that sounds very cinematic. 1undread allows you to take in the opening piano riffs and use your imagination as to what is coming next. Then Nic comes in with some opening lines. While something cello like pluck is counting the clock in the background. And as soon as Nic says 'I don't need the birds and the bees, then it's glitchstep 1Undread inimitable drive. 

Other posts on 1UNDREAD:



Watch this:


Rae Burnz




No comments:

Post a Comment